Photobucket changes and the impact on this site

Information and updates etc concerning its-all-about-flyers.com
Wigs
Site Admin

Photobucket changes and the impact on this site

Post by Wigs » 13 Aug 2017, 08:55

Photobucket has recently changed its terms of services meaning that images uploaded to a free account can no longer have their images shared via links on other sites, forums, blogs etc. This means that many images posted to forums such as Its All About Flyers are not longer visible.

Pretty much all images I have uploaded to the site are unfortunately with Photobucket, but as I have a paid account they are safe for a short period. Photobucket has decided that you need their '500' account which costs $400 a year to enable you to link. Anyone with a lower tier account such as myself has until the end of the year to upgrade or will suffer the same fate as the free accounts.

My paid account (which I have had as a paid account for many years) is about $30 per year and I will not pay the ransom of $400 per year.

Over the coming weeks I will decide how to proceed with images on Its All About Flyers. Possible options are as follows:

1 - move the images to another site and re-link. The issue with this option is that any new provider could change their terms as well and we would be back to square one and also it will take a lot of time and effort to do.

2 - download all images and re-upload to IAAF directly. The issue with this is again time and also the possible impact on bandwidth of the current site.

3 - Remove all the image links and just keep the site as text. That option doesn't sound good either as that pretty much kills the site without images.

4 - shut the site. Again, not a great option, but the easiest.

Will post an update in due course.

The decision by Photobucket has had an impact on many forums / blogs. See below article.

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/84688.html

Green

Re: Photobucket changes and the impact on this site

Post by Green » 31 Aug 2017, 11:04

Photobucket owners should be shot, what a bunch of money grabbing basts.
Safest bet is to upload directly to IAAF i'd have thought. Although could increase site load times .....and your server costs!
I use google photos for all my family, work and flyer photos - storage is unlimited for photos and videos of a mid level quality. I think they start charging you if uploading and storing in super high def - but perfectly fine for what I need.
Cheers,
Mark

Wigs
Site Admin

Post by Wigs » 02 Sep 2017, 17:25

Green wrote:Photobucket owners should be shot, what a bunch of money grabbing basts.
I will be surprised to be honest if Photobucket as a company will still be here in 12 - 18 months as cannot see many people wanting to pay $400 a year. I will be cancelling my paid subscription as soon as I sort out a new solution. Think I'm paid up until March 2018, but after that they will not be getting anymore money from me.

Wigs
Site Admin

Post by Wigs » 13 Sep 2017, 10:47

Ok, after much thought I have decided not to trust another third party host with images and that images for stats etc will be uploaded directly to the site (albeit slightly smaller images) going forwards . I have over a year to update the previous posts before my photobucket account will change, so have time.

It may mean that some sections, such as the flyer Gallery will disappear as there are too many images there to update. and to be honest much better galleries online (phatmedia.co.uk) so really not worth updating on here.

Return to “Announcements, Updates, Problems, Questions & Suggestions”